This post is also available in: French
Welcome to the conscient podcast / balado conscient web site.
The conscient podcast / balado conscient is a bilingual series of conversations about arts, conscience and the ecological crisis.
- For more information on the podcast, see about
- For more information on my work, see who am I ?
- To listen to previous episodes, see podcasts
- For updates and commentary, see show updates
The second season of the conscient podcast / balado conscient was launched on March 18, 2021 and is about accepting reality, working through ecological grief and charting a path forward.
Recent activities and publications:
- July 26, e52 mahtani, my #conscientpodcast conversation with composer Dr. Annie Mahtani about music, sound art, the climate emergency, listening, nature, uncertainty, festivals, gender parity and World Listening Day
- July 20, e51 hiser, my #conscientpodcast conversation with educator Dr. Krista Hiser on research about climate education, post-apocalyptic and cli-fi literature, musical anthems, ungrading, art as an open space and the emotional wheel of the climate emergency.
- July 15, e50 newton, my #conscientpodcast conversation with climate activist Teika Newton about climate justice, hope, science, nature, resilience, inter-connections and the role of the arts in the climate emergency
- July 12, e49 windatt, my #conscientpodcast conversation with Indigenous artist Clayton Windatt of about visual arts, Indigenous sovereignty, decolonization, the arts and social change, communications, artists rights, the climate emergency and hope.
- July 11, é48 danis, my #conscientpodcast conversation with author and multidisciplinary artist Daniel Danis on sustainable art, consciousness, dreams, storytelling, territory, nature, disaster and the role of art in the ecological transition
- July 8, e47 keeptwo, my #conscientpodcast conversation with Indigenous writer, editor, teacher and journalist Suzanne Keeptwo about Indigenous rights and land acknowledgements, arts education, cultural awareness and the role of art in the climate emergency.
- July 7, e46 badham, my #conscientpodcast conversation with Dr Marnie Badham about art and social justice practice Australia and Canada, research on community-engaged arts, cultural measurement, education and how the arts create space for people to think through issues such as the climate emergency.
- July 6, e45 abbott, my #conscientpodcast conversation with filmmaker Jennifer Abbott about her film The Magnitude of all Things, reality, zen, compassion, grief, art and how to ensure a more compassionate, just and sustainable livable world.
- June 28, e44 bilodeau, my #conscientpodcast conversation with playwright and climate activist Chantal Bilodeau about theatre, cultural climate action, the role of art in the climate emergency and how to build audiences and networks
- June 23, e43 haley my conversation with British ecoartist David Haley about ecoart, climate change as a cultural issue, speaking truth to power, democracy, regeneration, morality, creating space and listening.
- June 22, e42 rosen, my conversation with architect Mark Rosen about what is enough, greenbuilding, how to change the construction industry, barriers and constraints in finding solutions to the climate crisis and deferred ecological debt.
- June 21, e41 rae my conversation with artist-researcher, facilitator and educator Jen Rae about art and emergency preparedness, community arts, reality, ecological grief, arts and climate emergency in Australia
- June 18, attended the first meeting of the Sectoral Climate Arts Leadership for the Emergency (SCALE) initaitve as a member of the inaugural coordination circle
- June 18, e40 frasz my conversation with researcher and strategic thinker Alexis Frasz about ecological crisis, creative climate action, community arts, #Buddhism, #leadership and cross-sectoral arts practices.
- June 10, e39 engle my conversation with urbanist Dr. Jayne Engle about participatory city planning, design, ecological crisis, sacred civics, artists and culture in societal and civilizational change
- June 10, e38 zenith, my conversation with animist somatic practitioner, poet, philosopher, ecologist and clown Shante’ Sojourn Zenith about reality, somatics, ecologicalgrief, rituals, nature, performance and ecological imaginations.
- June 4, é37 lebeau, my conversation with Écoscéno co-founder and executive director Anne-Catherine Lebeau on collaboration, circular economies, the role of art in the climate crisis, moving from ‘Take Make Waste’ to ‘Care Dare Share’ and creating regenerative art.
- June 1, e36 fanconi, my conversation with theatre artist and art-climate activist Kendra Fanconi, artistic director of The Only Animal about the role of the arts in the climate emergency, carbon positive work, collaboration and artists mobilization.
- May 31, I published e35 salas, my conversation with Spanish curator + producer Carmen Salas on reality, ecogrief, artists & the climate crisis, arts strategies, curating and her article Shifting Paradigms
- May 24, I published é34 ramade, my conversation (in French) with art historian, critic, curator and art and environment expert Bénédicte Ramade on the climate emergency, nature, music, visual arts, ecological art, etc.
- May 21, I published e33 toscano, my conversation podcaster and artist Peterson Toscano about the role of the arts in the climate crisis, LGBTQ+ issues, religion, the wonders of podcasting, impacts, storytelling, performance art, etc.
- May 20, I published é32 tsou, my conversation (in French) with musician and cultural diplomacy advisor Shuni Tsou about citizen engagement, cultural action, the ecological crisis, arts education, social justice, systemic change, equity, etc,
- May 13, I published e31 morrow, my conversation with composer, sound artist, performer, and innovator Charlie Morrow about the origins of the conscient podcast, music, acoustic ecology, art and climate, health, hope and artists as journalists.
- May 12, I published e30 maggs, my conversation with cultural theorist David Maggs about artistic capacity, sustainability, value propositions, disruption, recovery, etc.
- May 8, I published e29 loy, my conversation with professor, writer and Zen teacher David Loy about the bodhisattva path, the role of storytelling, interdependence, nonduality and the notion of ‘hope’ through a Buddhist lens.
- May 5, I published show notes May 5, 2021
- May 1, I published é28 ung (in French), my conversation with educator and philosopher Jimmy Ung about the notion of privilege, resilience, the role of the arts in facilitating intercultural dialogue and learning, education, social justice, etc.
- April 26, I published é27 prévost (in French), my conversation with sound artist, musician and radio producer Hélène Prévost about the state of the world and the role of artists in the ecological crisis.
- April 23, I gave a workshop at the BEAST FeAST 2021: Recalibration festival on Reality, Extinction, Grief and Art. You can see all of the festival presentations here: BEAST YouTube channel.
- April 23, I published e26 klein, my conversation with climate emergency activist Seth Klein about his book A Good War : Mobilizing Canada for the Climate Emergency, the newly formed Climate Emergency Unit and his challenge to artists to help rally us to this cause
- April 21, I published e25 shaw, my conversation with Australian climate activist Michael Shaw about support structures for ecogrief and the role of art.
- April 21, published the April 21 ‘show notes’
- April 16, I published e24 weaving, my conversation with artist jil p. weaving about community-engaged arts, public art, the importance of the local, etc.
- April 14, I published e23 appadurai, my ‘soundwalk’ conversation with climate activist Anjali Appadurai about the just transition and the role of the arts in the climate emergency.
- April 8, I published e22 westerkamp, my second conversation of season 2 with composer and listener Hildegard Westerkamp about acoustic ecology and the climate crisis.
- April 3, I published e21 dufresne, my conversation with philosopher Dr. Todd Dufresne about reality, grief, art and the climate crisis.
- April 2, I published the April 2 ‘show notes’
- March 18, published first ‘show notes’ : Launch of season 2 of the conscient podcast
- March 18, published e19 reality and é20 réalité (see below)
I invite you to view this 3 minute overview of the e19 reality episode :
You can read the episodes notes here and listen to the complete episode below:
To hear, Where do we go from here?, a 1 minute composition from this excerpt of e19 reality:
‘I now see, and more importantly, I now feel in my bones, the ‘state of things as they actually exist’ without social filters or unsustainable stories. So where do we go from here?’e19 reality minute 40
Thanks for listening.